04 March 2009

zounds, he's really doing it!

Some Z action, before you catch some zzz action.

Zao - metallllll!!! I like to try to find unique characteristics for metal bands that most people would lump together as "shredding and screaming"... For these guys, the guitar riffs are inordinately pleasant; if you close your eyes and pretend really hard that everything is waaay less distorted and a little slower, it could almost be a bunch of classic rock ballads. That ruse doesn't last long, though, as they yell at you the whole time. The only time I understand any words is when they randomly vom the song title.

Zen Guerrilla - "jam band" meets noise guitar and megadistorted vocals. But, not yelled! I thought I had a story here, but I guess not. Plus one for a misleadingly punk-sounding name.

Zero 7 - some music exists to take you to relaxation; other music exists to be enjoyed once you are there. This is the latter. One word: groove.

The Zutons - deliciously odd indie pop? One of my friends from school likes to make up new lyrics to "Zuton Fever". All sorts of interesting fevers going around, it seems... Sorry, weak anecdote.

Speaking of fevers, remember: the only prescription is more cowbell.

The Zyphoid Process - how do you define "indie"? Is it a musical style? Is it the defiance of major record labels? (Is it a kind of food?) Or is it some WAV files your buddies recorded from a random impromptu concert they did one night?

I had some good times with part of this band. We got together and jammed a few times - an interesting feat with two bassists and a drummer... We even played at an "UnderCover" contest, but with me on regular guitar very poorly. I miss those nights in the AKAK basement. Nate and Mike are way more skilled than I ever was and ever will be. I miss the three-man slingshot, too, but we'll leave that for another time >;-}

Comment, then go do something else!

4 comments:

  1. Does Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. zero 7...yes, please.

    the zutons...

    i've got the jlink blogreading fever in my head.

    and i love that you put the zyphoid process on here. i was never a fan myself, but i'm pissed that i missed the time you played in undercover with them. what the balls i was such a loser in college and didn't start going to undercover stuff until our sophomore yearrrrrr. i also was never in acacia, which probably has something to do with that, too.

    can't wait for your next installment. y? because i like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesss, I had no doubt you would mention the Zyphoid Process, and you are correct in hailing Nate's ridiculous skills on the bass. sick. I too miss AKAK, a lot of fond memories there, and lost ones I might add.

    Also, I love that you slipped in the cowbell comment. Gotta love Christopher Walken in everything he does. Oddly enough I watched that clip just a mere days ago, eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Frank Zappa or Warren Zevon?

    Leland

    ReplyDelete