13 March 2009

quick quips

Hey folks! Today's pretty lightweight. Sure, there are plenty of Q* artists out there, but I don't have anything worthwhile to say about them! The closest I have to decent stories are about...

Queen - to start, were a van-bombing necessity. Just imagine a pile of high school nerds doing (pretty poor) multi-part harmony to "Bohemian Rhapsody" with the windows down, and try not to vom.

The best almost-story about this classic rock group almost-happened in Philosophy 105 "Mind and World", which was a freshman level logic-and-arguments class I took as a junior at IWU to fulfill a general education requirement... Humorously after taking the junior/senior class "Topics in Logic" the previous semester with the same entertaining professor. Needless to say, I spent most of my time either not paying attention or antagonizing Dr. Clapp for amusement all around.

Lenny, the professor, was an avid cycling enthusiast. In fact, he randomly knew several bicyclers from Carlinville - small world! Also, since I can't really operate pen and paper to take notes (not that I did much of that in M&W), I almost always had my laptop with me, which means I had my entire music collection constantly available as well. You can probably see where this is going.

Anticlimactic conclusion: very quickly, starting with my class corruption cohort Sandy, the class realized that I had several Queen albums, including a greatest hits with "Bicycle Race"... Commence daily pleas to play that song either upon his entrance or in the middle of a quiz. It was hard to resist. If they would have offered me money or something, I probably would have done it. I wonder what Lenny would have done... He knew me fairly well from his previous Logic 360 class and was pretty casual anyway, so I doubt I would have been kicked out or otherwise punished apart from retaliatory mockery; who knows, maybe he would've sung along and done a little dance? Sadly, the world may never find out.

Moral of the story, cool-and-bored people like Sandy and Jo can be evil influences. And, btw, I want to ride it where I like.

That's all from me - now add your own!

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein, or that you didn't list Queens of the Stone Age, not that they're that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also a day late and a dollar short, but I should have mentioned Robert Johnson yesterday. Give me a break, I'm working on Pacific rim time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quietdrive did a cover of Time After Time...that is all I know about them

    ReplyDelete