05 March 2009

ya got trouble

These later letters simply don't have many artists to claim.

Yann Tiersen - soundtrack for "Aemelie". Evidence that all you need to sound French is an accordion.

Yello - ever seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"? Know that song, basically the movie theme, that's mostly a slowed-down-deep voice saying "ohh yeahhh" and "beautifullll", plus a repetitive "chikachika"? That's a Yello masterpiece. Once upon a time, the bro and I would speaksing along at the same pitch as the modified voice... Ahh, the subterranean vocal days.

Yellow Note - another one of DJ Soul Slinger's cohorts. Less funk, more weird. Still fast!

Yo Yo Ma - must be mentioned, but needs no introduction. The folks on The Daily Show claimed he was President of the US for a few minutes because the inauguration was running late and YYM was on camera when Bush's term officially ended... President Ma would be fine with me, except that he already holds a ruling position - he is the king of cello, after all. Also, Mr. Ma, your name causes me much difficulty: searching my music collection for "yo yo ma" yields entirely too many irrelevant results. I need a more substantial least common substring, sir.

Nerds rejoice. I'm just getting warmed up. Comment comment comment!

6 comments:

  1. The only band I know that begins with a Y is Yellowcard. While many know the song "Ocean Avenue" and not much else another song of theirs "Only One" is one of my favorite songs......I guess you could classify it as a pop punk rock ballad? ehh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own music collection contains only one y artist, Yma Sumac, a single track from The Big Lebowski soundtrack. (@_@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no yael naim? no yeah yeah yeahs?

    how is it that i have this stuff and you don't? my world is crashing down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yardbirds get half credit for starting some stuff.
    -a.nonymous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you were to tell me you murder babies in your spare time, the mere fact that you mentioned the "Amelie" soundtrack makes you an awesome person hands down.

    ReplyDelete