31 July 2008

esiwkcolcretnuoc

Hey, punks. !emit ni sdrawkcab og s'teL

I missed Wednesday's sessions because Monday night I decided getting sick would be a great idea. Boo to that. I'm better now (I think), so hopefully it's game on again tomorrow. Doing nothing and wasting time are indeed my areas of expertise, but such activities are quite poor rehabilitation.

Pre-sick, Monday = grand! Well, okay, some parts were, at least. The evening saw a visit from the Grand Master K (no, not Käpt'n K), a pal from school, who made the inconveniently-not-as-the-crow-flies trek around the lake from the Cleveland area to hang out for a few hours... I believe "rocktastic" would be an appropriate word to describe such a character. He even schooled the streets of downtown Detroit at 11p. eeks.

Continuing anti-chronologically, Monday aft's OT was typical pick up/move around/reach/stack with various objects and locations. It's hard to describe this stuff in a sufficiently exciting manner... They seem like humdrum everyday activities, but that's the idea; further, we're working tenodesis, range of motion, gross and fine motor skills, strength against gravity/with weights, posture, and patience(!), all at once. Anyway, look at it however you wish - I heart.

Before OT, I had a kidney ultrasound. No need to hide your extreme jealousy.

Then Monday morn's PT was also mostly standard procedure. I wheeled around in yet another manual, this time a major low rider. Gratuitous photo:



This one wasn't too bad though, minus the kindergarten-chair-knees effect. As you can see, we wrapped stretchy Thera-Band tubing around the rims to help out with grip - not necessarily the best solution, but effective enough that I squeezed in two laps in the allotted time, twice as far (but still equally as pathetic) as in the two chairs I've tried with completely unmodified rims.

Moving backwards again, Friday was a slight change of pace, as I was paired up with a different therapist for the afternoon. Yes, still Giger and arm e-stim bike, as has become the new usual, but in between was a mix of sitting balance and boxing-style arm exercises. Time to start punching people out. Be afraid! I could smudge your mascara or something.

Other randomness:

--Monday: first time I've ever operated an iPod
--Coincidentally, I saw the real Käpt'n K and friends in Cleveland
--Finally got some stickers (and openSUSE 11.0 64-bit) on the lapster
--A linked list is surprisingly efficient when recursively reversing characters in a string of unpredictable length (thoughts?)
--Blueberries.

No mas para ahora! BTW, I'm sorry I am having trouble keeping up with replying to everyone's comments, but I really appreciate your support, hellos, stories, questions, contributions, and even the occasional mockery... Readers are what elevate this from a diary to a blog, after all, and without any responses, it's really just a lecture. So, hardcore thanks for the interaction, because I'm listening.

TTFN, Tigger might say. Joyeux vendredi à tout le monde.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, hey! Your first response from an N95, I know you're excited. Not sure why, but whenever you mentioned OT, all I could think of was 'Operating Thetan.' Now, I'm probably not going to be able to read your blag without thinking about scientology...*cringe*

    Hope all is going well. You'll have to tell me how openSUSE 11.0 64-bit is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you can...but if you smudge my mascara I'm going to be quite angry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' hot in that orange shirt, man!

    凄いな〜

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John,

    I'm sorry to hear that you were sick. That's never pleasant but I hear that it's really extra unpleasant for you.

    It sounds as if that Monday was especially busy for you. I do
    not envy you that Kidney ultrasound. I've had those and they really don't meet my definition of fun at all. (grin)

    Don’t worry; you can’t smudge my mascara because I very rarely wear it (maybe only three times a year). ;o)

    Also, I’ve never operated an iPod yet, so you are ahead of me. I want to get one but guess I need to go shopping and look them over first, compare the various styles; and then decide which one I want. To make a long story short, I simply want one that I can easily load music onto and then easily find the song I want to listen to. So I guess a basic style should work well for me. :o)

    In your list of randomness, you included blueberries. I'm confused. Was that good? Or did it mean that you were given blueberries and you dislike them?

    I keep trying to get my husband to eat them because they are so good for us. So I slip them into salads and pancakes and such. But he absolutely despises them and I guess that will never change. LOL

    I hope you don't think that I've ever mocked you in anything I've written. I truly admire you. I also mean it when I write that you inspire me to try harder and to be a better person.

    Sincerely,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete