15 July 2008

posty

Hey hey, friendlitons! Just a quick one.

Friday and Monday, physical therapy = mostly the usual. I got to humiliate myself with another manual chair for part of the Fri session. It was essentially an average, everyday chair - a bit larger front to back to accommodate my 3.2-mile-long femurs, but no mods to help with grip - so, umm, not so easy to use. I wheeled a little less than 150 meters in the hour I spent in it, down from 200m in the flat-rim chair. Afterwards I was also quite more sore than after the other chair... Sob sob.

Occupational therapy was lots more grip practice with both hands, all the while sporting some wrist weights. We may have shown in PT that my right arm is at least a little bit stronger than the left, but entirely not so with dexterity (if you can call it that); ole righty just isn't so nimble yet. But, avoiding it will definitely not effect improvement. Monday I also worked on upward reach, moving things around - OT Christmas ornaments? ;-) - between high and low horizontal bars.

That's about the size of it. Again, this weekend is the Ironman Triathlon over at Lake Placid, and Jonathan Roche is participating, graciously raising funds to help support my family and my continuation of such effective rehabilitation. Please please consider helping out if you can; just send a check made out to "John Link Benefit Fund" to:

Breakthrough Health & Fitness, Inc.
370 Interlocken Blvd., Suite 400
Broomfield, CO 80021

(Make sure to include your full name and address!)

I appreciate your support so incredibly much. Keep an eye out on the 20th for Mr. Roche! Just amazing. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Bonjour Jon! Comment ca va? Votre pere gave me your blogsite address. Fascinating! You seem to like a few foreign language words tossed in here and there, so I thought I'd dust off my college French and insert a few every so often. I think about you often and have wondered how you are doing. I get a few updates from votre pere from occasional e-mails, but am glad you have established a formal information outlet. I plan to be a visteur regulier chez "jlink", so continue avec les updates, s'il vous plait. Sorry I missed you guys during your recent return to Carlinville. We're in the middle the Summer Rep's production of "The Music Man". Great cast this year...perhaps the best production yet. Finished the set at 3:30 a.m. on the eve of production(during scout camp week!!). I still made it up by 6:30 am for the "Polar Bear swim with the scouts. More later.

    Bon soir "Scout de garcon"!!!!

    Leland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon, It sounds as if you are making more progress. I know it's frustrating when you are left sore, but I've always been told that when the soreness is due to progress, it is a good pain. If there is such a thing. (grin)

    Your speed in the new chair sounds pretty decent to me! Sure beats waaay less.

    I'm trying to picture you moving Christmas ornaments in July. Sounds as if you might be providing the staff with some chuckles. ;o)

    Jonathan has kept us all updated on his Ironman this upcoming weekend. I plan to watch, as much as possible, on my computer. Sure wish I could be there to cheer him on!

    I am really enjoying your updates.
    Please continue to keep us informed. I wish you could hear the group of us cheering you on!

    Pam G.
    Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon,
    I know you don't know me/us or atleast I don't think you do, but we are from Carlinville. We always add you and your famiy in our prayers. Love to hear about your progress. Looks like you are working hard. Don't get discouraged on sore days because those are days that your therapy is working.
    Tell your Mom and Dad hello for us. Miss seeing them in church. Eli gives your Mom a snuggle. He is crawling everywhere!!

    All our support.
    Becky and Ronnie P. and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Week ago the Force was strong on my connection to you. Put out a web and today at the Springfield Freethinker meeting I met Rick Carr for the second time. Asked him about you and he gave me your blog address. I moderate the forum gnawed.com.

    The Force was strong to get the following site to you, or at least the content.
    http://www.spiritualtravel.org/spiritualtravel.html

    I gave you Doom. Remember? We had to hide it under some other name so your mom wouldn't see it installed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John, I saw your article and picture in the newspaper and wanted to say hello. I am very impressed with your progress! Jonathan Roche sounds like an amazing person. Keep up the good work (even though it's hard). We think of you often. Say hi to your mom and dad for us.

    Cheryl and Gerry B.

    ReplyDelete