09 July 2008

wow

Whatup, friends old and new! Beware: this post is sort of serious.

Allow me to explode with appreciation for - okay, pretty much everyone. Specifically, though, I would like to highlight two people I talked to today, whom you very likely already know.

Jonathan Roche is a personal trainer, double-digit marathon and triathlon competitor, and motivator extraordinaire. He spearheads many projects, such as the Momentum Fitness system and the No Excuses! workout (and more), focusing on helping normal people exercise and improve health without having to rewrite their entire lives. Inspiration level: astronomical. Check out Momentum Fitness/No Excuses, his radio show, and his Yahoo! group.

Next, one quite famously known as "The FlyLady" is another incredible motivator, with emphasis on simple accomplishments and easy daily routines that help people reclaim their lives starting on the home front, again without requiring commitment to unrealistic lifestyle changes. She’s a lifesaver and cheerleader offering free online help, centering on perfectionism, procrastination, and the accompanying guilt. Inspiration level: from 1 to 10, a 37.2. Check out her online resources.

Today my mom and I (mostly mom, as I was on the Giger) had the privilege of talking to this awesome pair on Mr. Roche's radio show on BlogTalkRadio (listen here). We discussed quite a bit of stuff, from my injury to surgery to college to rehab to what may lie in my future. Mr. Roche is swimming+biking+running in the grueling Ironman Triathlon on 20 July 2008, at the end of next week. He is generously donating funds raised from this event to my family to cover medical expenses and my continued rehabilitation. Wow.

You can help contribute, too, by pledging support to Jonathan - simply send a check made out
to "John Link Benefit Fund" to:

Breakthrough Health & Fitness, Inc.
370 Interlocken Blvd., Suite 400
Broomfield, CO 80021

Please include your full name and address. Understatement: your support is very much appreciated.

Let me point out that such people, including you, oh reader, amaze me. To barely know me, yet support so enthusiastically, is unbelievable... I don't want to lapse into too much Brie and Camembert here, but when it so often gets difficult just to keep plugging along, people like this (and you) reveal themselves.

Cheese aside, thanks. l8r.

4 comments:

  1. ummm...

    i LOVE brie. so keep it coming, if you feel like it.

    and i'm mos def going to internet stalk both of those peepz.

    you're cool.

    kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    This is Monika, I'm one of Jonathan's followers and Flylady's stalkers (restraining order not yet processed, just kidding). I want you to know how much I admire your strength, courage and spirit. You amaze and humble me by your dedication and perseverance. I'm very thankful your mom (who is very cool!) wrote to Jonathan and you were willing to share your story with us. Keep it up, Rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John;

    I learned of your blog from FlyBaby Monika and your story through Jonathan's e-mails.

    I loved reading your story. Your attitude is so wonderful! I also checked out your CaringBridge site. We have a little friend that had a brain tumor removed at the Mayo Clinic last year and it was SO nice to get updates while they were away from home!

    My daughter just had her 14th surgery on Monday. She was born with eye and heart defects. She is only 7 years old and everyone always comments on how well she deals with everything she's been given.

    It gives me such hope for her that with your physical limitations you are dealing so well and that your attitude has stayed so strong! I hope wonderful things for you in your recovery and keep on telling your story because it is such an inspiration for others living with altered abilities!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Elaine Link is so awesome, and clearly your biggest fan. (But I still claim that title when she's not around.)

    ReplyDelete