11 April 2011

um, dois, três

As you've probably noticed, I tend to regurgitate dates here, and today is actually one to remember. Way back on 11 April 2008, a giant pile of doctors off in a faraway land routed out my nasal cavities, hacked my neck open, and traded some tissue.

That's right: three years ago, I had a stem cell transplant.

Crazy! Since then, it's been a wild ride. I'm obviously not skipping down the sidewalk and typing 100 wpm again yet, but my life is drastically improved compared to the pre-surgery days. Remember, my spinal cord injury is C4-C5 level. I "should" barely be able to move my arms. Now I have at least minimal voluntary muscle control down to the abdominal/gluteal level. I haven't used the power chair since 2009. I used to have only enough lung power and breath control to whistle for about three seconds; now I can consistently hit and sustain that elusive low C. So much dreamlike stuff is unbelievably happening.

So, yes, progress is agonizingly slow. Feeling "lucky to be alive" is often a stretch. However, the progress seems to be unstoppable. Weekly, even daily, new and weird advancements come out of nowhere. Relative to how I was... Wow.

Woohoo.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen you skip down a sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. john!

    i really appreciate when you bring up the dates of things. i am shit for remembering dates...and most other things, too.

    i remember when you went to portugal, though!

    your progress is a juggernaut of awesome.

    end of non sequiturs.

    kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, please thank your mom for her letter yeasterday. And many heartfelt wishes for continued daily victories for you. You rock like buckethead jams, fiercely. :), hope that was the compliment I meant it to be!

    ReplyDelete