23 January 2009

SJ-arrrr

Hey all! Today I was featured in a little article in the State Journal-Register, Illinois' main non-chitown news rag. You can find the online version here. Quite the dandy feature, and no offense to the skilled and decidedly entertaining author (should write an article about himself!), but I feel bad not clarifying the occasional ambiguity that might have you scratching your head - particularly if you're one of the few who has kept up with the blog. This also a convenient opportunity for some elaboration. Here goes:

--The car accident was in 2004, the second winter after high school graduation in spring 2003 (and yes, the secret's out, I was the valedictator).

--Ha ha, yes, I did officially name my kitty 289, but he goes by Tommy, as it's a bit more feline-recognizable. Why 289? Well, 17 is irrationally one of my favorite numbers (quite rationally, actually), and 289 is 17 squared. There you go. Nerd alert.

--One of my friends pointed out that the article's wording seems to imply that during the stem cell surgery, they accessed the stem cells in my nose by going up through my neck. eek! The surgery was basically a three-step process once I was in the operating room. First, they opened my neck to inspect and prepare the spinal cord lesion site. Then they left my neck alone and went up through my right nostril to harvest cells from deep in the nasal cavity. Finally, after preparing these cells from my nose, they went back to my neck to transplant the cells at the cleaned-up injury site.

--Just for clarification, I was in Portugal April 7-21, and the surgery took place on the 11th. I was then in Detroit from May 5 through December 18.

--I play (non-bass) guitar lap-style, using splints on both hands to push on the strings like some bizarro piano. Upon returning from Detroit, though, I put just the lowest and highest strings on my favorite bass, such that I can hold it normally and sort of play it that way, splint-free. Maybe there will be pictures sometime.

--Musicians mentioned: Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Bootsy Collins, Buckethead (and my Bucket concert experience). Too bad you can't put hyperlinks in the newspaper! Also, be on the lookout for more music-themed posts in the near future.

Anyway, xlnt article. Thanks to the SJ-R, and to you for reading both there and here. Rock it.

6 comments:

  1. i like to think that i helped with the fact-checking of this article. at least i can delude myself into thinking that my years of stalking your every move have gone to good use.

    kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uber kudos to the journalist for incorporating the word "nerd"...

    cool.

    -S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear JLink,
    What a treat to randomly read so much about you..! You have no idea how crazy it was to be here in Missouri, searching for some news from home, and come across that that article on you. And then to find out you have your own blog? Marvelous.
    You may not believe this, but I took the road of math as well. I enjoyed Tommy's real name and the explanation behind it.
    Before you know it, you'll have your own column. Just wait.
    Adios,
    Alana (Beasley) Davis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minus the few errors, it was a great article highlighting how AWEsome and strong-minded you are. And please put up pics of you playing your guitars.....although it will pale in comparison to when I do get to see you do it in person!
    love, me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good in that article, man. Also, Claypool and Buckethead should thank you for all the publicity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John,
    The article was great, I forwarded it to Jonathan Roche and I also tweeted (www.twitter.com/flybabymoni) about it.
    If you do twitter please let me know so I can follow your adventure in Gigerland. I got a postcard from your family of you speedracing in your Manual? chair down a hallway. It was so great to see you, congratualations on all your victories. VERY cool to know you play the guitar.
    Please tell your mom best wishes and thank you for the card.
    Take care,
    Monika, NEWO Support Team member and FAN of the John Link Club

    ReplyDelete